About the Office of International Education
The principal role of the Office of International Education (OIE) is to support the University System of Georgia’s strategies for global education, research, and engagement. The System pursues strategies that align USG international programs and assets with the Board of Regents Strategic Plan and with the state of Georgia’s international goals and needs.
The vast majority of international education activities are initiated at the campus level. The OIE assists USG campuses with all aspects of campus internationalization, Study Abroad program development and international student and scholar services.
The University System of Georgia supports and monitors these important activities as part of its continuing pursuit of education excellence. Whenever possible and beneficial, the University System Office seeks to facilitate collaboration and communication among related institutional programs.
The office of International Education’s major priorities includes:
- The establishment of system-wide “best practices” to assist our international programs in developing and maintaining solid programs.
- Supporting educational and cultural programs that foster greater understanding and appreciation for other cultures and traditions.
- Administering the USG J-1 Exchange Visitor program consortium which invites foreign individuals and delegations to Georgia for teaching, research, and study.
- Collecting and monitoring a variety of data about USG study abroad participation, international student matriculation and other key aspects of international education.
- Coordination of the USG System Council (SCIE), the USG’s international advisory committee, as well as, Study Abroad and International Student and Scholars sub-committees.