The Budget Office supports the University System’s highest priorities by identifying, projecting, allocating, and managing the central resources available for operating and capital expenditures. This is accomplished by:
- Employing sound budget projection and allocation practices, making reasonable resource allocation recommendations, and providing financial planning that informs executive management decision-making and strategic planning processes.
- Working with each institution and other organized units to guide the annual budgetary process, embrace efforts of process simplification, create an open budget environment, and develop innovative solutions.
About the Budget Process
Each fiscal year the Georgia General Assembly allocates funds to higher education. After the bill is passed and signed by the Governor, a significant amount of work goes into decisions that determine where and how the funds are spent.
The Board shall make the allocation of funds to the institutions at the April meeting or the next regular meeting following the approval of the Appropriations Act or as soon thereafter as may be practicable in each year, per BOR Policy 7.1.1.
Each institution of the System shall prepare an operating budget for educational and general activities and an operating budget for auxiliary enterprises of the institution for the fiscal year within the limit of funds allocated plus estimated internal income of the institution, per BOR Policy 7.2.3.
Budget Issues Committee
The Budget Issues Committee (BIC) serves as an advisory group to the Budget Office. The committee is comprised of various institutional representatives dedicated to facilitate system-wide measures of best practices.
Institutions are authorized to amend their annual operating budgets without prior approval of the Board of Regents except that any amendment which exceeds $1 million and involves state general fund appropriations, auxiliary enterprise funds or student activity funds shall be submitted to the Board of Regents for approval. Prior Board of Regents approval shall not be required for any budget amendment involving special purpose state funds, non-state funds, or internal revenue sources. Institutions shall be required to report quarterly on all budget amendments to the University System chief fiscal officer under procedures developed by his/her staff, per BOR Policy 7.2.4.
Budget Amendment System (Login Required)
Select the following link to amend the annual operating budgets:https://www.usg.edu/budgets/
- Budget Calendar
Annual Budget Reports
- FY2021 Operating Budget
- FY2020 Operating Budget
- FY2019 Operating Budget
- FY2018 Operating Budget
- FY2017 Operating Budget
- FY2016 Operating Budget
- FY2015 Operating Budget
- FY2014 Operating Budget
- FY2013 Operating Budget
- FY2012 Operating Budget
- FY2011 Operating Budget
- FY2010 Operating Budget
- FY2009 Operating Budget
- FY2008 Operating Budget
- FY2007 Operating Budget
- Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
- Southern Association of College and University Business Officers (SACUBO)
- Southern Regional Education Board (SREB)
- State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO)
- State of Georgia's Budget Cycle
- Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board