We provide a variety of services and resources related to real estate and facility transactions and maintenance at USG institutions. Please click an area of interest below.
- Design and Construction
Real Estate and Facilities staff implements the USG’s annual capital program and oversees other campus projects that support the institutional mission, regardless of funding source. We provide capital program management at a system level.
- Environmental and Occupational Safety
Promotes environmental stewardship, safety and health at all University System of Georgia (USG) institutions.
* CDC Bioterrorism Information for First Responders:
* Ready Georgia Campaign:
These recommendations were compiled by the USG Biosafety / Biosecurity Subcommittee. The recommendations for institutions within the USG are as follows:
* Adopt by reference [BMBL Guidelines](http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/bmbl4/bmbl4toc.htm) as a minimum for BSL-1 and BSL-2 labs; the same should apply for BSL-3 labs but allow flexibility for unique facilities.
* Develop and implement a Biosafety and Biosecurity Manual relative to each campus’ level of biohazardous activities.
* Create an Institutional Biosafety Committee (composition left to institution) to provide oversight at campus level and act as liaison to USG SBB; IBC should conduct periodic reviews of biohazardous activities.
* Campuses conducting any level of recombinant DNA (rDNA) activity should establish an IBC above and beyond the minimum recommendation and in accordance with the [NIH Guidelines for Research Involving rDNA](http://www4.od.nih.gov/oba/rac/guidelines/guidelines.html). NIH Notice, NOT-OD-02-052, released May 28, 2002 stated, “…even privately funded projects employing rDNA must adhere to the NIH Guidelines if they are being carried out at, or funded by, an organization that has any NIH contracts, grants, or other support for this kind of research.”
**Additional References and Resources:**
__Examples of Biosafety Manuals__
* [UGA Biosafety Manual](http://esd.uga.edu/)
* [Michigan State University Biosafety Manual](http://www.ehs.msu.edu/biological/programs_guidelines/biosafety_manual/Biosafety_Manual.pdf)
* [University of Penn Biosafety Manual](http://www.ehrs.upenn.edu/programs/bio/bio_manual.html)
* [University of Alabama at Birmingham Biosafety Manual](http://www.healthsafe.uab.edu/pages/biosafety/biosafetymanual.pdf)
* [CDC Laboratory Health and Safety Manual](http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/manual/labsfty.htm)
* [University of Virginia Biosafety Manual Template](http://ehs.virginia.edu/biosafety/bio.manual.html)
* [Ohio State Biosafety Manual](http://ehs.osu.edu/manuals.aspx)
* Example of Biological Use Survey
* [CDC/NIH Primary Containment of Biohazrds: Selection, Installation and Use of Biological Safety Cabinets ](http://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publications/bmbl5/bmbl5_appendixa.pdf)
* [CDC Presentation: Biosafety in the Laboratory](http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su6002a1.htm)
Guides and assists University System of Georgia (USG) institutions in a broad range of compliance-related areas and to serve as the USG’s resource on Real Estate and Facilities Policy matters.
- Planning and Development
Provides, coordinates and supports physical planning and analysis for the USG and its 31 individual institutions. We offer consultative planning and analysis services to campus constituents on both a generalized and specialized basis, often working with the assistance of professional planning consultants.
- Real Estate
Real Estate and Facilities’ staff process all leases and contracts for sale or purchase of real estate on behalf of the Board. We also develop and maintain due diligence guidelines for leases of private real estate, use by others of Regents’ real estate, sale, purchase, or gift of real estate, easements, and facility demolitions.
- Safety and Security
Provides centralized access to safety and security information applicable to the University System of Georgia (USG) institutions.