AAMI Program Highlights
THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE
In 2018 and 2019, AAMI offered The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. As a result, 29 Directors and Assistant Directors hold a certificate in the key principles of effectiveness. Highlights included how to:
- Focus and act on what can be controlled and influenced, instead of what can’t.
- Define clear measures of success and create a plan to achieve them for both life and work.
- Prioritize and achieve the most important goals instead of reacting to urgencies.
- Develop innovative solutions that leverage diversity and satisfy all key stakeholders.
- Collaborate more effectively with others by building high-trust relationships.
In June of 2019, AAMI offered QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) suicide prevention training to 25 USG employees. As a result of this workshop, the attendees are prepared to recognize the signs of crisis and are empowered to make a positive difference in the life of someone they know. Further, each person is certified to train small groups in suicide prevention.
Maurice Nelson and McKenzie Peterman, Assistant Directors at Georgia Southern (Statesboro and Savannah respectively), have been a resource for AAMI students, as well as the counseling centers on their campuses.
Each has been asked to assist the campus counseling centers to help address the high volume of students in need of service. This speaks volumes about the significance of being QPR certified.