New USG Services Status Page FAQ
We’ve upgraded our old status page to a new platform with brand new features. It’s never been easier for you to stay informed when service-impacting events occur.
How is this new page an improvement?
While the fundamental role of the USG Services Status Page has not changed, the new StatusPage.io platform has several key advantages over our old system:
- It is cloud-based, so it stays up, even when we’re down.
- It lets us respond to incidents faster.
- The new, clean design makes information easier to find.
- It has integrated email and SMS notifications.
- Customers can self-subscribe to receive email and SMS alerts.
How do email notifications work?
You can subscribe to receive automatic e-mail notifications specifically for systems and services you care about by clicking on the “Subscribe to Updates” link on the top of the Status Page. You will be notified when an incident (or maintenance) is created, updated or resolved for that system.
Can I receive SMS notifications?
Yes. These work much the same way as email notifications. You can subscribe to them via the “Subscribe to Updates” link on the top of the Status Page. Unlike email notifications, you will only receive fewer SMS notifications about an incident, typically when one is created or resolved.
How do I modify my email notification preferences?
Yes. You can change your change your preferences at any time by clicking on the “Subscribe to Updates” link at the top of the Status Page or by clicking the “manage your subscriptions” link at the bottom of any Status Page email notification you’ve received. You can also use this method to unsubscribe from notifications completely.
How do I change my SMS notification preferences?
Yes. You can change your preferences at any time by clicking on the “Subscribe to Updates” link at the top of the Status Page. You can use this method to unsubscribe from notifications completely.
What if I am a current Blackboard ECS subscriber?
As of March 1, 2016, ITS will no longer send alert notifications via Blackboard ECS system. All current Blackboard ECS subscribers will be automatically subscribed to receive email and/or SMS notifications from Status Page based on their preferences.
What do these different statuses mean?
- Operational: “This system is fully operational and not experiencing any performance or availability issues.”
- Degraded Performance: “This system is functional, but experiencing some performance issues.”
- Minor Outage: “This system is partially down, intermittently down, or is experiencing availability disruptions affecting a small percentage of customers.”
- Major Outage: “This system is completely down or is experiencing major availability disruptions.”
What if I notice incorrect or incomplete information on the Status Page?
Let us know! Contact the ITS Helpdesk at email@example.com or 706-583-2001.
Can my USG institution get its own instance of StatusPage.io?
Yes. ITS has pre-negotiated a system-wide agreement with the vendor that grants all USG Institutions a 20% academic discount to all plans. Purchasing available through the SRS Store.
How can I learn more about StatusPage.io?
For more information, including service design and implementation support, contact Mark Zimmer, ITS Director of Customer Service, at firstname.lastname@example.org.