Core Value: Teamwork
Curt Carver's thoughts on Teamwork
Teamwork is necessary for our success internal to ITS. We work together to solve complex problems that require innovation and the combined efforts of dedicated professionals in ITS. Our roots in ITS are deep and our personal commitment is not only to each other but to defy common expectations.
We work as a team with our customers so that we can solve the most important problems and speed their solutions. We participate in communities of practice so that we can benefit from a deep and continuous interaction with our customers as we strive to constantly improve education in Georgia. When working on a project, our customers are not just someone on the phone but instead someone on the team.
Finally, the best ideas don’t come from a single mastermind but instead come from an experienced collaborative team intent on success.
“Teamwork is the ability to work together towards a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishments towards organizational objectives. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.”
Georgia Summit and the University System Annual Computing conference at Rock Eagle
There is a saying that many hands make light work. That is definitely true about the effort needed to produce the Georgia Summit and Rock Eagle conferences. We all know that the conferences provide opportunities for technology professionals and technology users throughout the System to exchange information with their peers and gain an accurate picture of the current and future state of technology in higher education. But for all of that to happen, the common denominator is that both of these events require a massive amount of planning by ITS folks; in other words, some good old-fashioned teamwork.
Anyone who participates in one or both of these conferences knows that each one is no small undertaking. And the short timeframe for this year’s conferences required coordinated teamwork to pull them off. Employees from across ITS stepped up and worked together to ensure that these conferences met the needs and exceeded the expectations of our stakeholders.
Both conferences were a huge success. Many thanks to the folks from the following ITS areas for providing the teams needed to deliver high-quality conferences for our stakeholders:
- Data Warehouse, Distance Ed, GeorgiaBEST, GeorgiaFIRST, and GeorgiaVIEW: program development/planning/ content for the conferences
- Information and Web Services: setting up and maintaining websites for both conferences
- Enterprise Infrastructure Services: setting up and overseeing the technical infrastructure for both conferences; providing technical support to presenters and attendees (projectors, laptops, audio/visual, wireless connectivity, etc.)
- Resource Management: registration logistics and staffing; vendor solicitation/sponsorships coordination
- Customer Support: communications planning and support; producing program guides (PDF and print) and schedule grids
- Library Services: producing creative after-hour event at Rock Eagle