Teaching and Learning Centers Program Spotlight
Welcome to the 2018-2019 USG SoTL Fellows
We welcomed the third cohort of the USG Scholarship of Teaching & Learning (SoTL) Fellows in Athens, Georgia earlier this month as they met for their kick-off and orientation during the USG Teaching & Learning Conference. These ten scholars from across the USG will meet regularly over the course of the year as they design and develop a classroom-based research project. During the course of their three-day orientation, they met with the previous USG SoTL Fellows cohort; attended presentations by Kim Fowler from UGA’s Human Subjects Office and Rebecca Rose, the USG SoTL Fellows embedded librarian; and had conversations with Dr. Mike Metzler, one of the program’s mentors.
They concluded the orientation with a mini-poster session where they shared their most current thinking about their SoTL projects with each other.
The 2018-2019 USG SoTL Fellows are:
- Marianna Baykina, Georgia Southwestern State University
- Jesse Bishop, Georgia Highlands College
- Katy Crowther, Georgia State University
- Ann Massey, University of Georgia
- Rosaria Meek, University of North Georgia
- Marcela Ruiz-Funes, Georgia Southern University
- Marina Smitherman, Dalton State College
- David Strickland, East Georgia State College
- Emily Weigel, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Lisa Yount, Savannah State University
2018-2019 USG SoTL Mentors are:
- Mike Metzler, Georgia State University
- Hillary Steiner, Kennesaw State University
- Rebecca Rose, University of North Georgia
1. 2018-2019 USG SoTL Fellows (photo by Mark Johnson, Director of Academic Innovation, USG). Left to right: Mike Metzler (Mentor), Mary Carney (co-director), Marianna Baykina, Marcela Ruiz-Runes, David Strickland, Emily Weigel, Marina Smitherman, Katy Crowther, Rosaria Meek, Jesse Bishop, Lisa Yount, Denise Domizi (co-director). Not pictured: Ann Massey.
2. Katy Crowther discusses her project ideas with Marina Smitherman at the concluding mini-poster session.
3. USG SoTL Fellows cohorts 2 & 3 meet to talk about the program (photo by Harlie McCurley, Staff Assistant for the UNG Center for Teaching, Learning, and Leadership).