Academic Programs

Academic Affairs Division

Transferring Core Curriculum Credit - FAQ

Information on Transferring Core Curriculum Credit Between University System of Georgia Institutions: Sections 2.4.8 and 2.4.9 of the Academic and Student Affairs Handbook and Section 3.3.1 of the Board of Regents Policy Manual

Frequently Asked Questions

Each institution has developed a core curriculum with 60 semester hours of courses in Areas A through F. While institutions have some flexibility in defining learning outcomes in each area, the core curriculum completed at one System institution is fully transferrable to another System institution for the same major.

The following information is applicable to most students who transfer from one University System of Georgia institution to another. However, specific situations that may result in minor exceptions to these general transfer rights are described in the section following the questions and answers.

How can I make sure that I can transfer my credit in the core areas?

Students completing any core curriculum course will receive full credit for that course upon transfer to another USG institution within the same major, even if a core area is not completed and even if it means giving transfer credit across areas (e.g., credit of a math course in Area C).

Students must meet the USG-specified minimum number of hours in each Area A–E.

Will individual courses transfer to any system institution?

Students successfully completing a course in one institution’s Areas A–E will receive full credit in Areas A–E for the course upon transfer to another USG institution as long as the following conditions are met:

  • The course is within the Area hours limitations of either the sending institution or the receiving institution and
  • The student does not change from a non-science major to a science

Students successfully completing a course in one institution’s Area F will receive full credit for the course upon transferring to another USG institution as long as the student retains the same major.

What will happen to my transfer credits if I change my major?

Students switching from a non-science major to a science major must meet the Area A2 and Area D requirements for science majors even if they have already completed the Area A2 and Area D requirements for non-science majors.

Will I receive credit for courses that I take at another institution as a transient student?

Students in the USG must declare one home institution at a time. Students who transfer from one institution to another automatically change their home institution. Students who wish to take Area A–F courses (including distance learning courses) from a USG institution other than the home institution, either concurrently or intermittently, may receive transient permission to take and receive credit for Areas A–F courses satisfying home institution Area A–F requirements.

What information do I need to provide to my transfer institution?

To receive full transfer credit, you have the responsibility to provide a transcript and any other information requested by the institution awarding the transfer credit.

What if I have problems transferring credits?

Each institution will designate a Chief Transfer Officer (CTO) to facilitate the transfer of students within the USG. The CTO must have senior administrative and/or faculty status. The CTO is the contact person for students, faculty, advisors, records and admissions personnel, and academic administrators when problems related to transfer of Area A–F course work across USG institutions occur. However, CTOs should also be proactive and work to develop institutional procedures that minimize transfer problems.

Students with questions or concerns about the transfer of credit between USG institutions should contact the CTO at the receiving institution.

Exceptions to General System Transfer Policy

Provided that native and transfer students are treated equally, institutions may impose additional reasonable expectations, such as a grade of “C” in Area A–F courses.

Receiving institutions may require transfer students to complete the requirements as specified for native students. However, the total number of hours required of transfer students for the degree must not exceed the number of hours required of native students for the same major.

A calculus course is required in Area A2 for all engineering majors and for all programs at Georgia Institute of Technology. While students may fulfill this requirement with a math course higher than a first course in calculus, institutions may not require them to do so.