Columbus State University Presidential Search Committee Named
Atlanta — August 2, 2022
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) today named members of the Columbus State University Presidential Search Committee. The committee will conduct a national search to replace President Chris Markwood, who retired July 1.
Dr. John M. Fuchko III, the system’s vice chancellor for organizational effectiveness, currently serves as Columbus State’s interim president.
“With this transition, the university has the opportunity to expand its reputation of providing a student-first education and grow academic programs that play a critical role in the region and Georgia,” USG Chancellor Sonny Perdue said. “We’re grateful to Dr. Fuchko for his leadership in the interim, and appreciate the time and attention of the search committee as members prepare to play a key role in finding Columbus State’s next president.”
Members of the Presidential Search Committee are as follows:
- Regent C. Thomas Hopkins, Jr., M.D., committee chair
- Regent and Board Chairman Harold Reynolds
- Regent W. Allen Gudenrath
- Jordan Allen, president, Student Government Association
- Victoria Buchanan, graduate assistant, CSU’s ROAR Orientation program
- Stephen T. Butler, retired CEO and chairman of the W.C. Bradley Co.; member, CSU Foundation Board of Trustees
- Marvin Crumbs, Ed.D., principal, Columbus High School; member, CSU Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Larry Dooley, Ph.D., professor and chair, Department of Theatre and Dance, College of Arts
- Floyd Jackson, Ph.D., professor and chair, Department of Chemistry; interim chair, Department of Earth and Space Sciences; College of Letters and Sciences
- William Keen, student development coordinator, Office of Student Life and Development; chair, CSU Staff Council
- Troy Keller, Ph.D., professor, Department of Earth and Space Sciences, College of Letters and Sciences; chair, Faculty Senate
- Ashley May, vice chancellor of external affairs and chief of staff, University System of Georgia
- Lydia Ray, Ph.D., associate professor of Computer Science, Turner College of Business
- Gwen Ruff, senior vice president, Administration and Community Outreach, Columbus Water Works; colonel (retired), U.S. Army Reserves; member, CSU Foundation Board of Trustees; member, CSU Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Natalia Temesgen, associate professor of Creative Writing, Department of English, College of Letters and Sciences
- Teddie Ussery, chair, CSU Foundation Board of Trustees
- Cortney Wilson, director, William B. Turner Center for Servant Leadership; member, CSU Alumni Board of Directors
- Kelly Wilson, senior executive director, Facilities and CSU Real Estate
- Steven Wright, Ph.D., assistant professor of Counselor Education, College of Education and Health Professions, Executive Secretary (AY21-22), Faculty Senate
- Jimmy Yancey, former regent; member, CSU Foundation Board of Trustees; retired president and chairman of the Board of Directors, Synovus Financial Co.
“I look forward to working with the committee on behalf of students, faculty, staff and the community as we focus on finding a leader who will move the university forward,” Hopkins said. “Columbus State has strong ties locally and is of vital importance to the state in preparing people for high-demand careers in areas like cybersecurity, film and television production, education and nursing. I’m grateful for the opportunity to serve in this role.”
The Presidential Search Committee will guide the first stage of the search. ZRG Partners has been retained to provide search consulting services. At the conclusion of its work, the committee will forward the credentials of three to five unranked candidates to the Board of Regents for consideration.
The initial meeting of the Presidential Search Committee will be August 19, 2022, at which time the members will be formally charged with their roles and responsibilities in conducting the search.« News Releases