South Georgia State College, a four-year state college, is a multi-campus, student-centered institution offering high-quality associate and select baccalaureate degree programs. The institution provides innovative teaching and learning experiences, a rich array of student activities and athletic programs, access to unique ecological sites and residential options to create a diverse, globally-focused and supportive learning environment.
SGSC’s 2019 – 2024 strategic plan, Moving Forward, serves as the foundation for teaching, learning and engagement throughout the college and community. Moving Forward includes four key components:
- Continue to develop existing and/or new academic programs based on the identified needs of the workforce and community
- Recruit and retain talented and diverse faculty and staff with competitive salaries, innovative development programs, close-knit communities and an idyllic quality of life
- Improve student success rates as measured by course completion, retention, graduation and transfer to other post-secondary institutions after preferably attaining a degree from SGSC
- Collaborate with its community and region through the establishment and maintenance of partnerships for educational purposes that will result in the strengthening of academic programs, student success rates and economic health of the region.
South Georgia State College is focused on a core of strong teaching and personalized academic advising. It has a long and distinguished tradition of serving the people of Georgia.
- South Georgia State’s more than 2,500 students come primarily from southeastern and south central Georgia, but the college’s residential facilities enable the institution to draw students from other regions of the state, neighboring states and foreign countries. SGSC has locations in Douglas and Waycross, as well as an Entry Program on the campus of Valdosta State University
- Students pursue associate degrees in 21 academic pathways, which transfer to other institutions, and six bachelor’s degrees in education, nursing, business management, biological sciences, long-term healthcare and professional, business and technical writing and a seventh in Public Service Leadership pending SACSCOC approval.
- As a member of the Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association and the National Junior College Athletic Association, the Hawks athletics program includes men’s basketball, men’s and women’s swimming and cross country, women’s soccer, baseball, and softball.
- South Georgia State College had an economic impact of more than $71 million during FY 2018.