In recent years, many have raised questions about the cost and mission of public higher education. New forms of instruction, technology, and student learning are all challenging long-held views of public higher education. Public higher education has traditionally represented a path to advancement for both states and their citizens. To be successful, institutions must maintain both cost affordability and academic quality while preparing graduates for the workforce and to be productive members of their communities - the College 2025 Initiative, which Chancellor Wrigley launched in March 2017, is creating a map to address those concerns and offer real solutions based on the nationally acclaimed research by Dr. Tristan Denley.
To address the challenges, Chancellor Steve Wrigley announced the launch of the College 2025 Initiative and the Commission in support of it. He has tasked the Commission with developing a five- to 10-year academic roadmap for the USG and USG Institutions which build on the strengths of institutional sectors, individual campus identities and missions, and faculty expertise. The Commission’s roadmap will inform future direction within our state public higher education system allowing Georgia to maintain its position as a state that is responsive to the educational needs of all its citizens.
The USG Office of Academic Affairs Executive Vice Chancellor & Chief Academic Officer Tristan Denley are providing support to the Commission. Georgia College & State University President Steve M. Dorman is chair of the Commission.
Commission members include:
- Bird Blitch, Co-founder and CEO Patientco
- Merri Brantley, Director of Government Affairs, Georgia Gwinnett College
- Stuart Countess, Chief Administrative Officer, Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia
- Dr. Kevin Demmitt, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Clayton State University
- Dr. Elizabeth F. Desnoyers-Colas, Associate Professor, Armstrong State University
- Cynde Dickey, Co-Owner and Operator, Dickey Farms
- Sarah Dillard, Student, Savannah State University
- Maurice Gibson, Director of Human Resources, AT&T
- Brian Haugabrook, Chief Information Officer, Valdosta State University
- Dr. Paul Jones, President, Fort Valley State University
- Dr. Scot Lingrell, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, University of West Georgia
- Dr. Debra Matthews, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, Middle Georgia State University
- Dr. W. Bede Mitchell, Dean of the Library and University Librarian, Georgia Southern State University
- Dr. G.P. “Bud” Peterson, President, Georgia Tech
- Dr. Timothy M. Renick, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Success, Vice Provost, Georgia State University
- Dr. Rahul Shrivastav, Vice President for Instruction, University of Georgia
- Dr. Beverly Sparks, Member, Abraham Baldwin Agriculture College Foundation Board of Trustees
- Dr. Wendy Turner, Professor of History, Augusta University
- Dr. Anissa Lokey Vega, Assistant Professor of Instructional Technology, Kennesaw State University
- Dr. Margaret Venable, President, Dalton State College