Columbus State University Presidential Search Committees Named
Atlanta — December 5, 2007
Dr. Susan Herbst, University System of Georgia executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer will announce, at 11:00 a.m. today, the appointment of two committees charged with assisting in the selection of a new president for Columbus State University.
A national search will be conducted to replace Columbus State University (CSU) President Frank Brown, who announced on August 13, that he would retire on June 30, 2008. Brown, currently the longest-serving president in the University System of Georgia, will have been president of CSU for 20 years upon his retirement.
Herbst will announce the membership of the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee and the Special Regents’ Search Committee that will guide the first two stages of the search. In the meeting on the Columbus State campus, Herbst will outline to the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee their duties, responsibilities and role in the search for new leadership at CSU.
The search will begin with the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee developing a position description, placing announcements in appropriate national media and conducting on-campus interviews. Parker Executive Search of Atlanta will assist the committee in the search and recruitment process. This campus-based committee will forward the credentials of five unranked candidates to the Special Regents’ Search Committee, to be chaired by Regent Donald M. Leebern Jr.
Regent Richard L. Tucker, Regent Felton Jenkins, Regent Kenneth R. Bernard Jr. and Regent Allan M. Vigil will serve as members of the Special Regents’ Search Committee, which is responsible for recommending finalists to the Chancellor of the University System who then recommends a single candidate to the full Board of Regents.
Members of the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee are as follows:
- Dr. George Stanton, vice president of academic affairs, chair of search committee
- Dr. Floyd Jackson, associate professor and chair, chemistry and geology
- Dr. Barbara Hunt, professor and chair, English
- Dr. Tom Loughman, professor, marketing & management
- Ms. Beverly Davis, dean, University College
- Mr. Alex Acton, president, Student Government Association
- Mr. Ray Lakes, executive director, Columbus State University Alumni Association
- Mrs. Pam Siddall, publisher, Wichita Eagle, alumna
- Mr. James Yancey, retired chairman of the board of Synovus, Columbus State Foundation