Regents’ Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Awards - Call for Nominations - Deadline May 30, 2014
REGENTS’ SCHOLARSHIP OF TEACHING & LEARNING AWARDS
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL FACULTY AND STAFF
On behalf of the Board of Regents, the USG Office of Academic Affairs is pleased to announce and invite nominations for the FY 2015 Regents’ Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SOTL) Awards. Initiated by Boyer’s Scholarship Reconsidered (1990), and exemplified by the Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, the scholarship of teaching and learning encourages and supports the work of faculty members whose scholarship focuses on the instructional mission of the institution. Two faculty/staff awards will be given; sector will not be a consideration for these awards. Award winners will be announced by August 29, 2014. We hope that the award will continue to foster and encourage the scholarship of teaching and learning at USG institutions.
Eligibility and Nomination Procedures
Current full-time members of the teaching faculty and teaching academic staff at USG institutions are eligible for individual awards. Each institution is invited to submit one nomination for an individual award. Campus nomination procedures should be determined by each institution.
The award committee will look for persuasive evidence that nominees have:
- Engaged in the systematic examination of issues about student learning and instructional conditions which promote the learning, building on previous scholarship.
- Documented the use of strategies for investigating and evaluating the impact of teaching practice on student learning, anchored in the research literature.
- Engaged in scholarship that is public, peer reviewed and critiqued.
- Produced scholarly work which contributes new questions and knowledge about teaching and learning.
- Developed a well articulated teaching philosophy that drives research questions.
- Documented the dissemination of their scholarship results.
Nomination portfolios for these awards are limited to 20 pages, including any appendices (no smaller than 12 point font). Each portfolio must include the following information:
- Nomination letter from the institution’s chief academic officer, noting the highlights of the nomination portfolio. (1-2 pages)
- A narrative that outlines the research questions and the related goals, theories, and methods of their scholarship activities
- Data/evidence of the impact of their teaching techniques/pedagogies on student learning and its potential impact on teaching and learning in the discipline. (3-5 pages)
- A condensed curriculum vitae that includes relevant SOTL presentations, articles and/or publications. (2-3 pages)
- One or two letters of support from colleagues qualified to comment on the value and quality of the nominee’s scholarship of teaching and learning activities, and its impact in improving undergraduate/graduate education. These letters should describe how the nominee’s activities have contributed knowledge in the field and how it has enhanced the learning of students.
Note: Seven complete sets of nomination portfolios should be received in our office by May 30, 2014. Nomination portfolios should not be placed in folders or binders - staple each copy in the upper left-hand corner. Portfolios that exceed 20 pages or are faxed cannot be accepted.
A special Regents committee, composed of faculty and administrators from across the System, will review the nomination portfolios and recommend finalists for each award.
Nomination Deadline: May 30, 2014
Seven complete sets of nomination portfolios should be received in our office by the above date. Unfortunately, we cannot accept faxed portfolios. Portfolios should be sent to:
Dr. Mike Rogers
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University System of Georgia
270 Washington Street, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334-1450