South Georgia State College
Institution Mission Statement
South Georgia State College, a state college of the University System of Georgia, is a multi-campus, student centered institution offering high-quality associate and select baccalaureate degree programs. The institution provides innovative teaching and learning experiences, a rich array of student activities and athletic programs, access to unique ecological sites, and residential options to create a diverse, globally-focused, and supportive learning environment.
Profiles - Consolidated Institutions
- Established 1970
- Fall 2011 Enrollment: 964
- 42.6% from Ware County
- First-Year Retention: 53.9%
- Three-Year Graduation: 20%
- FY11 Degrees Conferred: 105
- Total FY12 Budget: $8.6M
South Georgia College
- Established 1906
- Fall 2011 Enrollment: 2,270
- 26.3% from Coffee County
- First-Year Retention: 47.9%
- Three-Year Graduation: 12.2%
- FY11 Degrees Conferred: 251
- Total FY12 Budget: $20.3M
Opportunities & Challenges
- Creates an institution of over 3,000 students by combining the two smallest USG institutions, enabling economies of scale while maintaining college access for south Georgia students.
- Aligns two institutions with very similar missions and program offerings in the region.
- Increases opportunities to hire for key needs. Through economies of scale, there is the capacity for needed higher education enterprise professionals with appropriate expertise and experience levels.
- Builds on existing collaboration between the two institutions.
- Combines resources to enhance responsiveness to regional economic and community development needs.
- SGC is already the 2nd most popular transfer destination for Waycross – being part of same institution streamlines this process for students. Availability of SGC residential facilities will further support future student needs.
- Blending of institutional cultures.