Georgia Regents University
Institution Mission Statement
Our mission is to provide leadership and excellence in teaching, discovery, clinical care, and service as a student-centered comprehensive research university and academic health center, with a wide range of programs from learning assistance through postdoctoral studies.
Profiles - Consolidated Institutions
Augusta State University
- Established 1925
- Fall 2011 Enrollment: 6,741
- 67.5% enrollment from Columbia and Richmond
- First-Year Retention: 68.5%
- Six-Year Graduation: 24.5%
- FY11 Degrees Conferred: 1,097
- Total FY12 Budget: $69.6M
Georgia Health Sciences University
- Established 1828
- Fall 2011 Enrollment: 2,948
- 16.5% enrollment from Columbia and Richmond
- First-Year Retention: N/A
- Six-Year Graduation: N/A
- FY11 Degrees Conferred: 840
- Total FY12 Budget: $632.4M
Opportunities & Challenges
- Reflects a bold move to create a new university that builds on the strength of two institutions with distinct missions.
- Creates a 21st century research institution that provides high quality and comprehensive undergraduate programs and top-tier health education and research that meets regional and statewide needs.
- Continues to support the access mission which is vital to regional needs.
- Allows for growth of research efforts to spur economic development and facilitate knowledge transfer.
- Offers a wide array of undergraduate programs in liberal arts and professional fields.
- Recognizes geographic proximity (~2 miles apart) .
- Builds on strong community support.
- Significant differences exist in institutional mission, organization, and governance.
- Complexity associated with current Health System structure would be further complicated by integration.
- Branding and identity issues exist.
Consolidation Working Group for Georgia Regents University
Dr. Ricardo Azziz, President, GHSU (Working Group Chair)
Dr. William Bloodworth, President, ASU
Dr. Carol Rychly, Acting VP for Academic Affairs, ASU
Dr. Wendy Turner, Chair of Faculty Policies and Professor of History, Anthropology, and Philosophy, ASU
Mr. Jim Jones, AVP for Finance and Control, GHSU
Mr. Phil Howard, VP for Facilities, GHSU
Dr. Gretchen Caughman, Exec VP for Academic Affairs and Provost, GHSU
Mr. Phil Wahl, Incoming Chair of ASU Board and Augusta City President Commercial Relationship Manager for First Citizens Bank
Dr. Sandra Freedman, former President Medical College of Georgia Alumni Association
Mr. Jim Hull, Principle, Hull Storey Gibson Retail Group, Augusta community member
Mr. Cedric Johnson Sr., First Bank of Georgia VP and Community Dev Officer, Augusta community member
Mr. Will McKnight, Augusta community member
Mr. Jeff Heck, Reese Library, Assoc Director/Assoc Professor Faculty Policies Chair, ASU
Dr. Rich Griner, Dept of Biology, Chair Assoc Professor, ASU
Dr. Michael Brands, Professor & Director of Medical Physiology, GHSU
Dr. W. Kent Guion, VP for Diversity and Inclusion, GHSU
Mr. Clint Bryant, Director of Athletics, GHSU
Ms. Patricia Harris, Human Resource Specialist, ASU
Ms. Victoria Worsham, Bookstore, Accountant I / Staff Advisory Council, ASU
Ms. Kerry Cartledge, Chair - Employee Advisory Council
Mr. Andrew Phillips, SGA President, ASU
Ms. Caitlin Madigan, SGA Humanitarian, GHSU