Savannah State University Presidental Search Committees Named
Atlanta — January 10, 2007
Dr. Beheruz N. Sethna, University System of Georgia interim executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer, announced today the appointment of two committees charged with assisting in the selection of a new president for Savannah State University (SSU).
A national search is being conducted to replace SSU President Carlton Brown who stepped down from his position at SSU effective December 31, 2006, after nine and a half years of service, to assist Chancellor Erroll B. Davis Jr. in the implementation of a major initiative for the University System of Georgia.
Sethna announced the membership of the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee and the Special Regents’ Committee that will guide the first two stages of the search, and he charged the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee today.
The search process will commence with the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee developing a position description and placing announcements in appropriate national media. The process will also include generating the names of qualified candidates, screening applicants and conducting on-campus interviews.
This campus-based committee will forward the credentials of five unranked candidates to the Special Regents’ Committee, chaired by Regent Elridge McMillan of Atlanta. Regent Willis Potts of Rome, Regent James Jolly of Dalton, and Regent Jim Bishop of Brunswick (Ex-Officio Member) also will serve as members of the Special Regents’ Committee, which is responsible for recommending finalists to the full Board of Regents.
Members currently appointed to serve on the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee are as follows:
- Dr. Emily Maxine Crawford, vice chair, faculty senate, chair of search committee
- Dr. William Hahn, professor of management, College of Business Administration
- Dr. Nan Spicer, assistant professor of music
- Dr. Pravin Raut, professor, engineering technology
- Dr. Jane Gates, interim vice president, academic affairs
- Dr. Irvin Clark, assistant vice president, student affairs
- Elaine Campbell, interim vice president, business and finance
- Larion Williams, vice president, institutional advancement
- Shed Dawson, assistant athletic director for academic services
- Jelani Byars, student
- Connie Cater, emeritus regent
- Dr. Jimmie Jackson, chairman, SSU Foundation, Inc.
- Edna Jackson, mayor pro tem of Savannah, Georgia
- Howard Morrison, Advisory Council/Lebanon Plantation, Savannah Economic Development Authority
- Eric Winger, president and chief executive officer, Savannah Economic Development Authority
The Board of Regents is expected to name a new president for SSU in early summer.« News Releases