Clayton State Presidential Search Committees Named
Atlanta — February 9, 2021
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) has named the two committees to conduct a national search for the next president of Clayton State University, with President Tim Hynes retiring at the end of June 2021.
“President Hynes has been a tireless advocate and enthusiastic leader at Clayton State who brought stability and innovation to this important institution,” USG Chancellor Steve Wrigley said. “The university’s next leader will be well-positioned to continue its growth and expand its mission of serving students south of the Atlanta metro area and beyond.”
The search and screening of candidates is the responsibility of the campus-based Presidential Search and Screen Committee and will guide the first stage of the search. Members are as follows:
- E. Joe Johnson, Ph.D., search committee chair, professor of Foreign Languages, Department of Humanities
- Stephanie D. Allen, executive assistant to the vice president for student affairs
- Trajan A. Bell, president, Clayton State University Student Government Association
- Crystal Billingslea, president, Clayton State Alumni Association and Alumni Board
- Hae Ryong “Harry” Chung, Ph.D., associate professor and program coordinator, Health and Fitness Management
- Lisa Conley, Ed.D., president-elect, Clayton State Alumni Association and Alumni Board
- Robin Faulkner, application architect, Information Technology Services – Enterprise Applications
- Rachel Gaines, secretary, Clayton State University Student Government Association
- Helen McSwain, vice chair, Clayton State University Foundation Board of Trustees; senior vice president and national transit director, Rohadfox Construction Control Services Corporation
- Jillian Morgan, instructor, Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
- Eugene A. Ngezem, Ph.D., professor of English, Department of English
- Cass D. Parker, Ph.D., associate professor and chair, Department of Chemistry and Physics
- Ann M. Showalter, Ph.D., assistant professor, Department of Biology
The duties of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee include the development of a position description, recruiting candidates and conducting interviews. The search firm of Anthem Executive has been engaged to assist the search committee.
At the conclusion of its work, the campus committee will forward the credentials of three to five unranked candidates to the Regents Special Committee for consideration.
The Regents Special Committee will be chaired by Regent Cade Joiner, with members including Board Chairman Sachin Shailendra, Regent W. Allen Gudenrath, Regent Samuel D. Holmes, Regent C. Thomas Hopkins Jr., Regent Sarah-Elizabeth Langford Reed and Regent T. Dallas Smith.
“Clayton State fills a vital role as a higher education provider in this state, and this presidential hire will be important for it to continue its ascent,” Joiner said. “We are eager to begin our work and find the best person for Clayton State’s students, its many supporters and stakeholders and, most importantly, the citizens of Georgia.”
The initial meeting of the Presidential Search Committee will be Feb. 17, 2021, at Clayton State University, at which time the members will be formally charged with their roles and responsibilities in conducting the search.« News Releases