International Education

Academic Affairs Division

National/Program/Country-Specific Scholarships

Students may seek study abroad funding by applying for scholarships offered through federal agencies such as the US Department of Education or the US Department of Defence. Scholarships are also available for study abroad to specific regions or countries or for particular study abroad programs.

  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
    Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by the Institute of International Education, this program enables students who have limited financial means to participate in study abroad opportunities worldwide. The program provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. citizen undergraduate students at two- and four-year institutions to pursue semester or academic-year long study opportunities in other countries. To be eligible students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application and cannot be studying abroad in a country currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or in Cuba. For more information, application deadlines and the online application please access the Gilman Program website at
  • NSEP David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships for Study Abroad
    Created in 1991, the National Security Education Program (NSEP) awards scholarships to American students for study of world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, the NIS, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East). NSEP was designed to provide American undergraduates with the resources and encouragement they need to acquire skills and experiences in areas of the world critical to the future security of our nation in exchange for a commitment to seek work in the federal government. Information and an online application are available on the NSEP website at
  • Critical Language Scholarships for Intensive Summer Institutes
    As part of the National Security Language Initiative (NSLI), a U.S. government interagency effort to expand dramatically the number of Americans studying and mastering critical need foreign languages such as Arabic, Bangla, Hindi, Punjabi, Turkish and Urdu, the Department of State Critical Language Scholarships provides funding for U.S. citizen undergraduate, master’ and Ph.D. students to participate in beginning, intermediate and advanced level summer language programs at American Overseas Research Centers. For more information, application deadlines and online application, please access the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC) website at
  • Freeman-ASIA scholarship
    US citizens or permanent residents may apply for Freeman-ASIA scholarships to pursue undergraduate study abroad in East and Southeast Asia. The primary goal of Freeman-ASIA is to increase the number of American undergraduate students to study in East and Southeast Asia, by providing them with the information and the financial assistance they will need. For more information, application deadlines and online application, please access the Freeman-ASIA website at
  • ISEP scholarships
    Students enrolled in ISEP programs may apply for ISEP scholarships of varying amounts.
  • Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
    The Bridging Scholarship program awards scholarships to American students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan. Undergraduate students majoring in any field of study and attending any recognized exchange or independent program in Japan are eligible to apply for these scholarships.

    Recipients of Bridging Scholarships will receive stipends ranging from $2,500 to $4,000, depending on the length of their study program in Japan. The scholarships are funded by donations from U.S. corporations and foundations to the US-Japan Bridging Foundation. Selection is based on academic potential and financial need. The scholarships are administered by the Association of Teachers of Japanese.

    Information on the Bridging scholarships and downloadable application forms are available at ATJ’s Web site: Printed application brochures are also available.