How do you know where to look for what?
· Do you know what you’re looking for? · The Flow of Information · What is research?
Putting the research process to work
· An introduction to a 10-step process · Examples of the research process in action
How you find things in a library
· What is a Library? · Call Numbers · Interlibrary Loans · Finding: Books, Periodicals · Library Instruction
Finding things in an electronic format
· What is a database? · Search types: keyword, boolean, natural language, proximity operators, truncation/wildcard
A tool to find articles
· Getting Around in GALILEO · General vs. Specific categories · Getting Your Password
A tool to find books
· GIL’s Help · A Tour of GIL · Online Renewals and Recalls · Step-by-Step Examples
What is this creature?
· A Brief History · Searching · Evaluating Internet Information · GALILEO vs. the Web
Copyright, citing and the perils of plagiarism
· Why should you cite? · Style Manuals · Where you give credit · Copyright Law · Fair Use
Can I really trust this information?
· Initial appraisal · Content analysis · Evaluating Web Sources
· Obtaining a library card · Services available to distance students