The following principles guided the consolidation analysis; each principle was considered equally in this analysis:
- Increase opportunities to raise education attainment levels.
- Improve accessibility, regional identity, and compatibility.
- Avoid duplication of academic programs while optimizing access to instruction.
- Create significant potential for economies of scale and scope.
- Enhance regional economic development.
- Streamline administrative services while maintaining or improving service level and quality.