Human Resources - Benefits

Administration Division

A father, mother and daughter laugh and share a happy moment outside. The daughter rides on her mother's back.

Flexible Spending Accounts

Contributions to an Optum Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for healthcare and dependent care expenses are tax-free, allowing you to save money on your federal and state income taxes and Social Security taxes. You must enroll each year in order to have one or more FSAs.

  • Healthcare FSA
    If you’re enrolled in the Consumer Choice HSA healthcare plan and choose not to make contributions to an HSA, then you’re eligible to have a Healthcare FSA to cover healthare, prescription, drug, dental and vision expenses. You can contribute up to $2,600 a year.

  • Dependent Care FSA
    A Dependent Care FSA can help you pay dependent care expenses. These include daycare expenses and summer camps for children under age 13 and care for an elderly parent. You can contribute up to $5,000 a year or $2,500 if you’re married and file separate income tax returns.

  • Limited Purpose FSA
    Those enrolled in the Consumer Choice HSA healthcare plan can contribute up to $2,600 annually to a Limited Purpose FSA, which can be used for eligible dental and vision expenses only.

Plan carefully! IRS rules require you to forfeit any balance left in your FSAs at the end of the year — the “use it or lose it” rule. Ordinarily, you must incur eligible expenses by December 31, 2019, and submit them for reimbursement before April 1, 2020. However, there will be a grace period in 2020, so you can use remaining 2019 funds to pay for 2020 expenses incurred through March 15, 2020.

Note: To be eligible to enroll in an FSA, you cannot be currently enrolled in Medicare or TRICARE.

Icon of a grey computer mouse representing the Optum website where you can find out more information about your FSA.

Learn More
Visit the Optum website

↑ Top