Human Resources - Benefits

Administration Division

Flexible Spending Accounts

Contributions to an Optum Bank Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for healthcare and dependent care expenses are tax-free, allowing you to save money on your federal and state income taxes and Social Security taxes. You must enroll each year in order to have one or more FSAs.

  • Healthcare FSA
    If you do not have access to an HSA, you’re eligible to have a Healthcare FSA to cover healthcare, prescription drug, dental and vision expenses. You can contribute up to $2,550 a year.
  • Dependent Care FSA
    A Dependent Care FSA can help you pay dependent care expenses. These include day care expenses and summer camps for children under age 13, and care for an elderly parent. You can contribute up to $5,000 a year or $2,500 if you’re married and file separate income tax returns.
  • Limited Purpose FSA
    Those enrolled in the Consumer Choice HSA healthcare plan can contribute up to $2,550 annually to a Limited Purpose FSA, which can be used for eligible dental and vision expenses only.

Plan carefully! IRS rules require you to forfeit any balance left in your FSAs at the end of the year — the “use it or lose it” rule. You must incur eligible expenses by December 31, 2015, and submit them for reimbursement before April 1, 2016. However, there will be a grace period in 2015, so you can use remaining 2015 funds to pay for 2016 expenses incurred through March 15.

Icon of a white computer mouse on a purple background.

Learn more
Visit the Optum Bank website.

↑ Top