System Supplement logo

February 2009 Issue

Perdue Proposes Additional 1 Percent Cuts to USG Budgets

With Georgia tax collections dropping precipitously, Gov. Sonny Perdue proposed additional cuts to the state’s Fiscal Year 2009 Amended Budget and FY 2010 Budget, but said much more drastic cuts would have been necessary if not for approximately $1.1 billion in federal stimulus funds Georgia will receive.

Even with the extra stimulus money, state agencies are facing more than $2 billion in spending cuts this year. Faced with a 14 percent drop in net revenue collections in January and a nearly 35 percent drop in February, Perdue scaled back the state’s revenue estimate for the remainder of FY 2009 by $450 million and the estimate for next year by $1.62 billion.

For the University System of Georgia (USG), this action necessitates additional 1 percent budget cuts – an additional $20.4 million for FY 2009 and $21.8 million for FY 2010. This brings the cumulative cuts for the University System to 10.5 percent for FY 2009 and 11.5 percent for FY 2010. The $1.1 billion in federal stimulus money comes from “stabilization funding” designed to fill holes in state budgets.

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu on February 21, 2009
Published in: Board of Regents

USG Reports $906.5 Million in FY08 Extramural Income

USG Reports $906.5 Million in FY08 Extramural Income

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

Nesbitt Recognized

Nesbitt Recognized

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

GPC Ramps Up Its Student Advising Program

GPC Ramps Up Its Student Advising Program

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

Medical Student Receives Prestigious National Scholarship

Medical Student Receives Prestigious National Scholarship

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

What Faculty in Pilot Group are Saying About Vista 8

What Faculty in Pilot Group are Saying About Vista 8

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

Vista 8 to Provide USG Faculty, Students With New, Improved Resources

Vista 8 to Provide USG Faculty, Students With New, Improved Resources

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

Regents’ Excellence Awards Celebration to be held March 28

Regents’ Excellence Awards Celebration to be held March 28

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

MCG/UGA Partnership Formalized on Paper

MCG/UGA Partnership Formalized on Paper

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

Regents Hear Presentation on Serving Students with Disabilities

Regents Hear Presentation on Serving Students with Disabilities

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

Poll: Voters Value College Quality, Access

Poll: Voters Value College Quality, Access

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 21, 2009

Peterson to Head Georgia Tech

Peterson to Head Georgia Tech

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 15, 2009

Campus Digest

Campus Digest

Posted by john.vanchella@usg.edu
February 01, 2009

View Monthly Issues

View older issues »

Search

Contact

Office of Media and Publications
Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia
270 Washington Street, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334

Phone: (404) 656-2250
Fax: (404) 651-9301
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)