University System of Georgia Strategic Plan
Strategic Goal Four:
Strengthen the USG’s partnerships with the state’s other education
Strategic Plan in Action
Minority, at-risk, and underserved populations are disproportionately lacking in postsecondary education. Minority populations in Georgia are increasing; non-minority population is not. Race / ethnic disparities in:
- High school graduation rates (Blacks 65.5%; Hispanics 60.3%, Whites 77.5%).
- USG enrollment (Blacks 24.0%; Hispanics 3.3%, Whites 60.5%).
- Educational attainment (61% of Whites aged 25-64 have some postsecondary education compared to only 51% of Blacks and 29% of Hispanics in the same age range. One in three Whites has a bachelor’s degree or higher compared with 1/5 Blacks and 1/7 Hispanics).
Increase postsecondary enrollment of minority, underserved, and at-risk youth, USG action: Early College–a blended program, grades nine-first two-years of college, for students meeting at least one of the following characteristics:
- English language learners.
- First-generation college students.
Activities for Implementation
Expand the USG-led Early Colleges.
Implement research-based activities that emphasize the importance of school attendance and performance on state accountability tests.
Implement research-based activities that emphasize preparation for college success.
Baseline Measure & Targets
|Baseline Measure||2008 Target||2009 Target||2010 Target||2011 Target||2012 Target|
|Number of Early Colleges between high schools and USG institutions. 2007: 6 sites.||12||Target||12||18 (pending funding)||18||18|
|Percent of Early Colleges that outperform their district on student attendance. 2007: 100% met target.||100%||Target||100%||100%||100%||100%|
|Percent of Early Colleges that outperform their district on the percent of students passing state accountability tests. 2007: 83%.||84%||Target||86%||88%||89%||90%|
|Percent of Early Colleges students with a grade of C or better in dual enrollment courses. 2009 Baseline.||Baseline||Set after baseline established|