Valdosta State University Presidential Search Committees Named
Atlanta — January 8, 2008
Dr. Susan Herbst, University System of Georgia executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer will announce, at 9:00 a.m. today, the appointment of two committees charged with assisting in the selection of a new president for Valdosta State University.
A national search will be conducted to replace Valdosta State University (VSU) President Ronald M. Zaccari, who will retire June 30, 2008. Zaccari has served the University System in that capacity since 2002.
Herbst will announce the membership of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee and the Special Regents’ Search Committee that will guide the first two stages of the search. In the meeting on the Valdosta State campus, Herbst will outline to the Presidential Search and Screen Committee its duties, responsibilities and role in the search for new leadership at VSU.
The search will begin with the Presidential Search and Screen Committee developing a position description, placing announcements in appropriate national media and conducting on-campus interviews. Parker Executive Search of Atlanta will assist the committee in the search and recruitment process. Members of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee are as follows:
- Dr. Cynthia R. Tori, associate professor, marketing & economics, chair of search committee
- Dr. James T. Baxter, chair, chemistry
- Dr. Christine A. James, associate professor, philosophy & religious studies, faculty senator
- Dr. Philip L. Gunter, dean, College of Education
- Dr. John Gaston, dean, College of Arts Outreach
- Ms. Verna Harvey, legal assistant, Legal Affairs
- Mr. Raymond Sable, director, Physical Plant & Facilities Planning
- Mr. Russell F. Mast, dean of students, Division of Student Affairs
- Mr. Jonathon Stroble, president, Student Government Association
- Ms. Katisha Mathis, student
- Mr. Wayne Rambo, alumni, VSU Alumni Association
- Mr. Tyson McLane, chair, VSU Foundation
The campus-based committee will forward the credentials of five unranked candidates to the Special Regents’ Search Committee, to be chaired by Regent Elridge W. McMillan. Regents Robert F. Hatcher, Doreen Stiles Poitevint, Benjamin J. Tarbutton III and Allan M. Vigil will serve as members of the Special Regents’ Search Committee. This committee is responsible for recommending finalists to the chancellor of the University System who then recommends a single candidate to the full Board of Regents.« News Releases