Georgia Southwestern State University Presidental Search Committees Named
Atlanta — January 9, 2007
Dr. Beheruz N. Sethna, University System of Georgia interim executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer, announced today the appointment of two committees charged with assisting in the selection of a new president for Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW).
A national search is being conducted to replace GSW President Michael L. Hanes, who announced he will retire in mid-January, after serving more than 10 years in the position.
Sethna announced the membership of the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee and the Special Regents’ Committee that will guide the first two stages of the search, and he charged the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee today.
The search process will commence with the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee developing a position description and placing announcements in appropriate national media. The process will also include generating the names of qualified candidates, screening applicants and conducting on-campus interviews.
This campus-based committee will forward the credentials of five unranked candidates to the Special Regents’ Committee, chaired by Regent Hugh Carter of Atlanta. Regent Felton Jenkins of Madison, Regent W. Mansfield Jennings Jr. of Hawkinsville, and Regent Doreen Stiles Poitevint of Bainbridge (Ex-Officio Member) also will serve as members on the Special Regents’ Committee, which is responsible for recommending finalists to the full Board of Regents.
Members currently appointed to serve on the Presidential Search and Advisory Committee are as follows:
- Dr. Sandra Daniel, former faculty senator, director of Accelerated BSN Program, chair of search committee
- Dr. Jeff Waldrop, faculty senator, associate professor, English
- Dr. Elizabeth Wilson, faculty senator, professor, HR management/management
- Dr. Doyin Olufemi Coker-Kolo, associate professor and interim chair, middle grades and secondary education
- Dr. Xiang Fu, assistant professor, computer and information sciences
- Dr. David Garrison, dean, College of Arts and Sciences and professor, English
- Freida Jones, Staff Council chair, director of student financial aid
- George Smith, director of physical plant
- Wes Sumner, director of university relations
- Colby Suttles,president, Student Government Association
- Sam Hunter, vice president, Sumter Bank and Trust
- Richard (Rick) A. Whaley, chair, GSW Foundation; past chair, president, and CEO, Citizens Bank of Americus
- Barry Blount, mayor of Americus, Georgia, executive vice president, Peoples South Bank
The Board of Regents is expected to name a new president for GSW in early summer.