Georgia Southern University Presidential Search Committee Named
Atlanta — January 29, 2009
The newly appointed Georgia Southern University Presidential Search and Screen Committee will hold its initial meeting on Monday, February 23 at 11 a.m. in the President’s Dining Room in the Nessmith-Lane Continuing Education Building on the Georgia Southern campus. Regent Donald M. Leebern Jr. and Dr. Susan Herbst, University System of Georgia (USG) executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer, will give the committee its formal charge at this organizational meeting.
A national search will be conducted to replace Georgia Southern University President Bruce Grube, who will step down as President, effective June 30, 2009. Dr. Grube has served the University System in this role since July 1, 1999.
Regent Leebern, at the February 23rd meeting, will outline to the Presidential Search and Screen Committee the duties and responsibilities associated with its role in the search for new leadership at Georgia Southern.
The Presidential Search and Screen Committee will develop a position description; place announcements in appropriate national media and conduct on-campus interviews.
Members of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee are as follows:
- Dr. Luther (Trey) Denton, professor of Marketing, chair of search and screen committee
- Dr. Jean Bartels, chair and professor of Nursing
- Dr. Peggy Hargis, chair and professor of Sociology
- Dr. Fayth Parks, associate professor of Counselor Education
- Dr. Georj Lewis, Dean of Students
- Mr. Brandon Cook, president, Student Government Association
- Mr. Don Howard, chairman, Bank of North Georgia
- Ms. Caroline Harless, Georgia Southern University Foundation
- Mr. Mike Cummings, past chair, Georgia Southern University Alumni Association
The campus-based committee will forward the credentials of three to five unranked candidates to a Special Regents’ Search Committee for the second phase. Regents Felton Jenkins, William H. NeSmith Jr., Benjamin J. Tarbutton III and Richard L. Tucker will serve as members of the Special Regents’ Search Committee chaired by Regent Donald M. Leebern Jr. This committee is responsible for recommending finalists to Chancellor Erroll B. Davis Jr., who will make a recommendation to the full Board of Regents.« News Releases