Armstrong Atlantic State University Presidential Search Committee Named
Atlanta — November 12, 2008
The newly appointed Armstrong Atlantic State University Presidential Search and Screen Committee will hold its initial meeting on Thursday, November 13 at 3 p.m. in the Burnett Hall board room on the Armstrong Atlantic State University (AASU) campus. Dr. Susan Herbst, University System of Georgia (USG) executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer and Regent Wanda Yancey Rodwell will give the committee its formal charge at this organizational meeting. A campus open forum will be held at noon, prior to the charging of the committee.
A national search will be conducted to replace Armstrong Atlantic State University (AASU) President Thomas Z. Jones, who will retire June 30, 2009. Dr. Jones has served the University System in that capacity since 2000.
Regent Rodwell, at the Thursday meeting, will outline to the Presidential Search and Screen Committee the duties and responsibilities associated with its role in the search for new leadership at AASU.
The Presidential Search and Screen Committee will develop a position description; place announcements in appropriate national media and conduct on-campus interviews.
Members of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee are as follows:
- Dr. Anne Thompson, interim director, Department of Physical Therapy, College of Health Professions, chair of search and screen committee
- Dr. Brenda Logan, middle and secondary education, College of Education
- Dr. Kevin Hampton, music, College of Liberal Arts and Faculty Senate president
- Dr. Joy Reed, computer science, College of Science & Technology
- Ms. Fern Illidge, human resources coordinator, Office of Human Resources
- Mr. Somi Benson-Jaja, president, Undergraduate and Student Government
- Mr. Kevin Fitzmaurice, president, AASU Alumni Association
- Ms. Ann Purcell, chair, AASU Foundation
- Mr. Don Waters, alumnus and CEO, Brassler USA
The campus-based committee will forward the credentials of three to five unranked candidates to a Special Regents’ Search Committee for the second phase. Regents William H. NeSmith, Jr., AllanVigil, James A. Bishop and Chairman Richard L. Tucker will serve as members of the Special Regents’ Search Committee, chaired by Regent Rodwell. This committee is responsible for recommending finalists to Chancellor Erroll B. Davis Jr., who will make a recommendation to the full Board of Regents.« News Releases