Georgia ONmyLINE provides access to online and distance education offerings from the 31 colleges and universities in the University System of Georgia. Learn more…
GAcollege411 is a comprehensive web resource for students and all Georgia residents who want to research careers, choose a college, apply for college, and acquire financial aid. Learn more…
Core Mission Statement for Two Year Colleges
Within the context of the University System’s mission and vision, Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, Atlanta Metropolitan College, Bainbridge College, College of Coastal Georgia, Darton College, East Georgia College, Georgia Highlands College, Georgia Perimeter College, Gordon College, Middle Georgia College, South Georgia College, and Waycross College share core characteristics as two-year colleges. While these colleges all embody the common characteristics presented below, variations in their purposes, histories, traditions, and settings allow each also to focus on its own distinctiveness and accomplishments.
The core characteristics include:
* a commitment to excellence and responsiveness within a scope of influence defined by the needs of a local area and by particularly outstanding programs or distinctive characteristics that have a magnet effect throughout the region or state;
* a commitment to a teaching/learning environment, both inside and outside the classroom, that sustains instructional excellence, functions to provide University System access for a diverse student body, and promotes high levels of student learning;
* a high quality general education program that supports a variety of well-chosen associate programs and prepares students for transfer to baccalaureate programs, learning support programs designed to insure access and opportunity for a diverse student body, and a limited number of certificate or other career programs to complement neighboring technical institute programs;
* a commitment to public service, continuing education, technical assistance, and economic development activities that address the needs, improve the quality of life, and raise the educational level within the college’s scope of influence;
* a commitment to scholarship and creative work to enhance instructional effectiveness and meet local needs.