PeachNet®: The Network for Education in Georgia
PeachNet®, USG’s statewide network, is the foundation that connects all USG institutions and public libraries and provides efficient, robust access to mission-critical online learning resources, business applications and transactions, and academic research.
ITS’s goal is to continually extend communication and collaboration tools for USG faculty, students, and administrators. By evaluating and implementing technologies, ITS has identified new opportunities to provide better, more efficient services at a lower cost to USG institutions.
The Fiber Project
The demand for bandwidth continues to rise as USG institutions continually increase their use of technology through online courses, new research connections, web-based tools, and GALILEO services. The Fiber Project is ITS’s solution. With the decline in the telecommunications market, excess commercial fiber became available for long-term use. Since 2002, ITS has acquired more than 2,700 route miles of these fiber assets to connect 30 of the 35 USG institutions, as well as additional sites. By acquiring the fiber directly, ITS can move PeachNet® services away from commercial telecommunications services. The result is additional bandwidth and levels of redundancies that were previously cost prohibitive.
How do USG institutions and the Georgia Public Library Service benefit from the Fiber Project?
- Virtually unlimited bandwidth and a higher level of service at a cost equal to or less than current costs for commercial leased lines
- Alternate paths that increase network redundancy and reliability
- Flexibility to design a more robust and fault-tolerant infrastructure to meet increasing demands for bandwidth and higher quality services
- Capability for research institutions to participate in national initiatives such as Internet2 and the National Lambda Rail
Pushing the Technology Envelope
- PeachNet® supports a rich variety of voice, video, and data applications that augment learning, research, and collaboration on and off campuses.
- There are more than 80 PeachNet® locations around the state interconnecting USG locations, Technical College System of Georgia locations, public library systems, K-12 systems, private higher education, and offices of state government to the Internet.
- PeachNet® currently connects to the Internet and Internet2 at 5 gigabits per second. (This is equivalent to more than 3,000 home DSL connections.)
- Almost all public libraries in Georgia obtain Internet connectivity through PeachNet®.
- The PeachNet® fiber backbone uses advanced optical technologies that combine amazing bandwidth capacity with an extremely high degree of reliability.
PeachNet®: Providing Better Services at a Lower Cost
Gainesville State College has experienced enormous growth in recent years and the PeachNet® team has, on numerous occasions, worked with GSC's IT staff to come up with ways to accommodate that growth and help us offer an exceptional level of service to our customers. This type of quick response and spirit of collaboration is a model of service within the University System of Georgia.