Interactive Text Equivalent
How do these people define research?
Mike, the freshman
- A drag.
- Searching the Web the night before my paper's due.
Elizabeth, 3rd year student
- Something that makes my professors happy when I do it.
- What I start a week or so before my project's due.
Bob, graduating student
- Something I wish they'd taught me when I first started college.
- A skill that will help me get a good job or learn about subjects
that will interest me in graduate school.
Pat, PhD student
- A way to find out what's already been written on my dissertation
topic, or what areas provide opportunities for study.
- A great journey of investigation, full of surprises, loaded with
fun and a way to procrastinate on writing my dissertation.
Martha, mature student
- A practical skill that will help me in many areas of my life like
getting a degree, making decisions about big things like healthcare,
investments, and major purchases, and learning about new things.
- Something that's a little nerve-wracking with all those computers.
Theresa, Marketing Research Professional
- A way to find information that will help me help companies beat the
competition, understand our market, and make us rich.
- Something I wish I paid more attention to in school.
Scully, FBI Agent
- Knowing what questions to ask ("Why did the killer leave one
bloody glove?" "What do the aliens do to these people they
- Figuring out who might have the answers